Thursday, September 16, 2010

If This Doesn't Make Your Jaw Drop...



I haven’t blogged in a while. Honestly, I have just been so busy that I haven’t had the time to.  I have so much homework and my home life is just so hectic, that I can barely find time to even sit down and breathe. I’m on student council at my school. Currently, we’ve been working on getting homecoming together and all sorts of things that have to do with that. (I will be so happy when homecoming is over and I don’t have to worry about making a float and getting it to school on time.) I finally got a little bit of free time the other day and I spent it with my best friend that I haven’t seen in a  year.

We were hanging out the other night at her house, just talking and catching up on some of what we had been up to this summer. Somehow we began looking up some youtube videos of different artists and bands. Eventually, we landed on one video that I hadn’t seen before from one of the most popular artists right now. Can I just tell you that we were appalled? As our jaws dropped, we couldn’t believe that what we were watching had actually been released as a public, new music video! It was beyond disgusting. More like, disturbing. Is this supposed to be the new “norm”?

As young people, we don’t have the benefit of ever really getting to see the world in a purer form than it is in now. Frankly, culture has been pretty twisted ever since we’ve known it. Morals and values haven’t been popular or  held in high esteem as long as we’ve known them. In that case, it could be easy to say about our culture, “that’s just the way it is” or “that’s how it’s always been”. Actually… it’s not.

Believe it or not, there was a time when modesty was the applauded standard. When purity was across the board encouraged. When people were expected to hold themselves with dignity and decency. Were there people who strayed from this? Of course! But it wasn’t broadcasted like it is today – and certainly not glorified!

Just because you and I have grown up in a world where indecency, provocativeness, unfaithfulness and filth is “normal”, doesn’t mean that we should become at all used to it. If we let ourselves become numb to these things, all the lines of right and wrong will be blurred.

The Bible says,
“Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” 2 Timothy 2:22
“… Do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.” 1 Timothy 5:22
“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” Proverbs 4:23
“The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure conscience and a sincere faith.” 1 Timothy 1:5
** “But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.” James 3:17

I found it interesting, particularly in the last two verses, that love and wisdom were first of all defined by being pure. And I’m not just talking about the “True Love Waits” kind of pure. I’m talking about our mind… our heart… our motives being pure.

Scripture puts it best here as it says, “Finally, brothers,whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.” Philippians 4:8

This is what is to be in our heart!
When we are polluted by the world, we are diluted in our role for the Kingdom of God.As the ways and mindset of the world sets in, it pushes out the power and wisdom that comes from wholly walking with our Lord.

Take the time to examine your heart. Ask God to show you any areas that you have perhaps become numb and haven’t even realized. I’ve been amazed as I’ve done this as well.

Let the things that drop our jaw be the things that are actually beautiful…
a pure heart.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I really like this post. I agree completely. Those verses have been cropping up all the time in my various bible studies, daily devotionals, church sermons, and the like. I have been going through my movies and music, getting rid of many of the ones that are "ok", or "kind of bad" and so forth, as they don't glorify God, or in any way promote good behavior or cleanliness of the mind, soul, and spirit.
    Hey!
    Guess what?
    I'm setting up a daily devotional site that should be up in the next two weeks for so. I'll be having a few guest devo writers in occasionally, and would love to have you write something, especially if it is along the lines of this post. What kinds of things are you really passionate about when it comes to God and life?

    -Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. What am I really passionate about?
    When it comes to God, I am really just passionate about glorifying Him. I strive to worship Him in everything I do everyday of my life. I strive to put Him first in my life.
    When it comes to life, I'm passionate about writing, reading, music, and helping people. I love writing. I started writing this blog because I really wanted to help people. I read a lot. I read all sorts of books. I do not read any inappropriate books that will put bad things into my mind. I am very passionate about music. I sing with a couple of other people at my church on Sunday mornings for the entire congregation and on Wednesday nights for the youth group. I feel like worshipping through song is wonderful.

    I would love to be a guest writer for your site! I have a ton of other things that I plan on writing about in the next few days/weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant passionate about God, and everything there is to do with Him and living one's life to glorify him :)

    ReplyDelete